It’s important that boaters understand their legal obligation to operate vessels in a safe and lawful manner.
ATLANTA (PRWEB) May 22, 2018
Zagoria Law, an Atlanta-based law firm specializing in personal injury cases, is helping to raise awareness about National Safe Boating Week with safety and accident prevention tips. The annual awareness week will run from May 19 through 25. The effort encourages recreational boaters to take safety precautions and also marks the official launch of the year-round Safe Boating Campaign.
According to the United States Coast Guard (USCG), there were 701 boating-incident related fatalities in 2016. More than 77% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator did not receive boating safety instruction. Studies also show that the most common causes of boating accidents include negligence, high speed and operator inexperience. Zagoria Law has handled numerous cases involving serious boating injuries that could have been prevented with a few safety measures.
“Our firm has a pending lawsuit on behalf of a young man named Anthony Hendricks, Jr, who suffered deep lacerations on his legs due to a boating accident,” says David Zagoria, founder of Zagoria Law. “It’s important that boaters understand their legal obligation to operate vessels in a safe and lawful manner.”
As the weather gets warmer in Georgia, many families will begin to plan recreational water activities such as fishing, sailing and jet-skiing. Zagoria Law would like to educate the community on the importance of safe boating with the following guidelines and tips:
- Georgia operators born after January 1, 1998 are required to pass a boater education course approved by the Department of Natural Resources and must have the card on board to operate any vessel.
- Wearing a life jacket is the most important rule when it comes to responsible boating. The USCG estimates that life jackets could've saved the lives of over 80 percent of victims.
- Never operate a boat while under the influence. It’s illegal to drink and operate a boat in all 50 states and in Georgia, penalties can include large fines, jail time, and possible loss of operating privileges until completion of a DUI program.
- Get a free vessel safety check. The USCG offers complimentary in-person or virtual safety checks to verify the condition of safety equipment and make recommendations.
- An owner or operator is required, under federal law, to file a boating accident report if a person dies, is injured and needs medical attention beyond first aid or disappears from the vessel. A report is also necessary if the boat is destroyed or if damages to the vessel and/or other properties exceed $2,000.
For more information on National Safe Boating Week, please visit http://www.safeboatingcampaign.com. Additional tips on boating safety and rules are also available via the USCG http://www.uscgboating.org and Georgia Department of Natural Resources http://www.gadnr.org .
About Zagoria Law
Zagoria Law is an Atlanta-based personal injury law firm dedicated to providing unyielding representation to its clients. Founder David Zagoria has more than 20 years of experience as a prosecutor and trial attorney litigating injury cases in State and Federal Courts throughout Georgia. Honored as a Georgia Super Lawyer, Zagoria’s focus on personal injury cases, specifically dog bites and serious injury-premises liability cases, ensures unparalleled service and dedication from the very beginning of clients’ cases until the end. For more information, please visit http://www.lawzagoria.com.
Share article on social media or email: