“We hate it when we see property owners get less money than they should, simply because they didn’t know the full extent of their rights,” said NC Eminent Domain Law Firm and former NCDOT attorney Stan Abrams.
GOLDSBORO, N.C. (PRWEB) August 08, 2019
The improvements to US 70, including the conversion of three intersections to roundabouts, will bring traffic nearer to the doorsteps of more than 115 homes and businesses in Goldsboro, Wayne County.
It is important to note that, in addition to some home and business owners being displaced by the project, many others may have their quality of life diminished as busy traffic will now be considerably closer to their doorsteps.
The offers some property owners receive from state officials may amount to far less than what their property is worth. Nor would these offers make up entirely for the potential danger they may face from the increase in traffic, or the frustration when faced with trying to sell their property with a greatly diminished market value, according to former NCDOT attorneys at the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm.
The property homeowners in the path of the US 70 project will soon receive purchase offers from state officials. According to Attorney Jason Campbell of the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm and former NCDOT attorney, property owners should be careful – a project with potential for such detrimental effects can spare time and resources to ensure citizens get a fair shake.
“Property owners receive a very official offer and often think that is the ‘law’ for what they are able to receive,” Campbell said. “If an offer has been made, there may be a more complete and satisfactory offer to be gained through reappraisal and negotiations.”
By North Carolina law, property owners whose land or businesses are targeted for acquisition ultimately receive an offer from the state. If the owner chooses not to accept the offer and takes no further steps, the state will still acquire the land and deposit the amount of the original offer with the County Clerk for the owner.
This is where the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm’s “second check” approach comes in. In most cases, the property owner is then free to pursue a potentially better, fairer arrangement, without losing the first offer.
If continued negotiations do not change the offer, the owner still has the first offer. But if continued negotiations are successful, the property owner will receive a “second” check in addition to the first offer.
“We hate it when we see property owners get less money than they should, simply because they didn’t know the full extent of their rights,” said Attorney Stan Abrams, also with the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm and a former NCDOT attorney.
The NC Eminent Domain Law Firm is available to talk with property and business owners, and to try to answer questions about the unique circumstances regarding their individual properties. Those questions typically include:
Property owners who have questions about this project and how it will affect them are encouraged to call the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm at 1-877-393-4990.
About the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm
A division of the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin, the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm is dedicated solely to representing property owners throughout North Carolina, who may be impacted by eminent domain law. The NC Eminent Domain Law Firm is led by attorneys Stan Abrams and Jason Campbell, both of whom previously worked as Assistant Attorneys General for the North Carolina Department of Justice in the Transportation Section, where they litigated condemnation cases for the NCDOT. The firm's attorneys have over 60 years of combined experience working exclusively on eminent domain cases. The Law Offices of James Scott Farrin has the legal resources of nearly 50 attorneys and is based in Durham, North Carolina, with 14 additional offices throughout the state to serve its clients.
NC Eminent Domain Law Firm
(by appointment only)
1308 Wayne Memorial Drive, Suite B
Goldsboro, NC 27534
Share article on social media or email: