The 2017 legal market was one of the better legal markets on record ... the associate market was far healthier than it has been in a generation.
(PRWEB) January 11, 2018
BCG Attorney Search’s much-awaited 2018 State of the American Lateral Law Firm Legal Market Report is now available. The annual BCG Attorney Search State of the American Lateral Law Firm Legal Market Report is one of BCG’s signature contributions to the field of lateral legal hiring. It is produced each year from interview and placement data compiled by BCG recruiters and is the “go to” resource for law firms and attorney candidates seeking information about overall market trends and practice area strengths and weaknesses.
You can view the full Report here:
BCG Attorney Search is one of the country’s premier legal search and placement firms. Founded in 2000 by Harrison Barnes, the company is headquartered in Malibu, California and has offices and legal recruiters in every major market throughout the country, including New York, D.C., Florida, Chicago, Texas, and California. The company also has a dedicated team of IT and data analytics professionals located in India who work around the clock gathering and synthesizing data related to the United States and international legal markets.
The 2018 Report covers over 30 practice areas, from mainstream practice areas like Corporate, Litigation, and Real Estate; to traditional “niche” practice areas like Healthcare, Employment, and Bankruptcy; to nontraditional niche practice areas like International Trade, Project Finance, and Patent.
Here are a few highlights from the 2018 Report:
- The 2017 legal market was one of the better legal markets on record. BCG placed 30% more attorneys in 2017 than in 2016.
- Both partner and associate markets were healthy in every part of the country, but the associate market was far healthier than it has been in a generation.
- Litigation was surprisingly active in smaller to midsized law firms and slow in large firms; corporate generalist hiring was much less robust than it was in the previous years, but corporate finance was busier.
- Niche practice areas remained very popular.
- Millennials are showing unprecedented interest in smaller law firms and appear less concerned about compensation; many are simply quitting large law firms.
- An entrepreneurial spirit is in the air and lots of new law firms are starting and becoming successful out of the gate.
- Diversity is becoming ever-more important to law firms.
In addition to overall market trend observations, the 2018 State of the American Lateral Law Firm Legal Market Report gives a breakdown of percentages of placements and interviews made by BCG recruiters for various practice areas and how the 2017 numbers compared with those from 2016.
The 2018 Report rates individual practice areas according to their relative health—from “very vibrant” to “sick” or “dying.” According to the Report, as we move into 2018, Healthcare and Trusts and Estates are among the healthiest practice areas. Immigration and Intellectual Property Litigation are not doing well. Practice areas such as Employment, Antitrust, Patent, Finance, and Oil & Gas are all relatively healthy and vibrant.
About BCG Attorney Search:
BCG Attorney Search is a premier recruiting firm for experienced attorneys in the United States. Since the year 2000, BCG Attorney Search has placed thousands of attorneys with employers who were the best fit for individual candidates, and helped law firms and companies with their recruitment efforts. BCG Attorney Search has offices in the following 15 cities across the United States: Atlanta; Boston; Century City; Chicago; Houston; Irvine; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Malibu; Miami; New York; Palo Alto; San Francisco; Seattle; and Washington, DC. For more information about BCG Attorney Search, visit their website at https://www.bcgsearch.com.
Share article on social media or email: